Thursday, February 3, 2011

First Day "Impressions"

Mom and Dad were very impressed with the Tri-Cities Cancer Center staff. Dr. H (Hematology/Oncology) and Ms. T (Oncology RN) are both proficient and caring. Dad says that cisplatin (chemotherapy drug) hasn't lived up to its ominous reputation at this point, but that the anti-nausea medication may be keeping its side effects at bay. He also has to wear a mask during his external beam radiation therapy to secure his head in place during treatments. Dad says...
The Mask! It looks evil, it feels evil. Two guys placed the mask on me while my head was tilted back over a high neck bridge. The mask was so tight I could feel my carotid arteries pulse. Swallowing while in the mask is difficult as is opening and closing my eyes. Freddy Krueger has nothing on me. Afterward I walked into the patient waiting room where four guys and one lady stared at me because of the lines the mask left all over my face. I said, 'I have been diagnosed with waffle-face disease.' Some got it, some didn't. The receptionist asked me how it went and I said 'Let's just say it left an impression on me.'
Two more chemotherapy sessions (3 doses per visit) and 30 radiation treatments left! On the road to recovery!

-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment